28 May 2024

1981 - A Different Time


This wrestling fan feels like he's gone full cycle as a fan worldwide.  I don't expect my readers to follow this, but if interested, I'll share it.

 

What happened with the Pinoy wrestling community and with MWF folding last weekend was very similar to what this fan experienced back in 1981.  

 

I was a huge fan, as today, with a company called Big Time Wrestling.  They provided regional NWA shows throughout Northern California going all the way back to 1961.  I became a fan in 1968 when I was 16 years old.

 

For several years, up to 1981, there was changes of television stations, announcers, and eventually a promoter who, eventually, didn't care for anyone but himself.  

 

I know that this is strong words from me, but true.  In January 1981, the last Big Time Wrestling show took place at the Cow Palace.  There was a Battle Royal along with a NWA World Championship match.  Though exciting, we knew the end was near.  Soon after that show, the promotion folded.  It wouldn't be for nearly two years when wrestling returned to the area with the American Wrestling Alliance.

 

This fan had a bitter taste for that amount of time. It was difficult to watch any wrestling on television because my "heroes" and "heels" were elsewhere in America.  Performers such as Pat Patterson, Rocky Johnson (The Rock's son) and Peter Maivia were gone.  I got over it when the AWA arrived in 1983.

 

Last Saturday was a bitter taste once again for this fan.  The difference is that I know the MWF locker room a lot more than the Big Time Wrestling talent.  The group, that I think of as friends, didn't deserve this, and I'll stand by that statement!

 

As a blogger who covers Southeast Asia wrestling, I do have contacts with most of the 16 different promotions covered.  Let me say foremost that this blogger would not wish this on any promotion in Southeast Asia or anywhere worldwide!

 

Though I follow some promotions a little more closely than others, this blogger tries as hard as possible to be objective with every promotion.  "Damn, I love wrestling, no matter the promotion, city, country or continent!"

 

The wrestlers involved here, and numerous fans, have assured this fan that the next chapter has begun to take place.  Dexcon was definitely the savior on Saturday for the wrestlers and community that follows the group.  It was emotional from the posts, reels, clips, whatever!

 

Thank you fans for reading the post "When a door closes...."  Though it is now the number one read, this blogger doesn't want it to be, and it definitely should not have been written and posted.  

 

In closing, this blogger has moved forward posting some recent promotion show results and possible future show updates.  Hopefully, last weekend's "bump in the road" will be the last one for a long, long time.  All of us need to have better days ahead.  Have a good day everyone!

No comments:

Post a Comment