09 December 2023

Thank You In Advance!


Peta Theater Center taken on 9 December 2022!


I'll be here another couple of days but wanted to take the time to thank the running and wrestling community here in the Philippines.  Each visit since my first in 2008 when still working in the telecommunications field has been special.  I had an opportunity back in 2008 to visit PLDT, a telecommunications company that worked with my old company in AT&T.  I worked in the international group with companies from Southeast Asia.  I was blessed to work with the Philippines and Hong Kong.  They are work memories that I haven't forgotten.   


Back to this visit, Filipinos (and Filipinas) know how to welcome visitors from outside the country.  It's always special once getting off the plane and leaving the airport.  Definitely, this visit has been really the most special and rewarding.  


For the first time, this blogger has actually done two activities (running and pro wrestling).  Early Sunday morning, it was rewarding to celebrate my birthday weekend with a 31:47 - 5K at the McDonald's Stripes Run.  It wasn't fast like the old days, but this 5K run was special.  Finishing with a high school runner from this area was a special moment.  He sought me out during warmups and we talked about training, hydration and running history.  The guy, Miguel, remembered me from the Takbo.ph run a few years ago, and wanted to do this one with me. Along with two of his teammates, we exchanged the pacing duties throughout.  Miguel, the group and I covered the last 1K in 5:53 after averaging 6:28 the first four kilometers.  It was my best 1K and 5K total in the last 15 months and really felt good to let it go!


It was great to continue talking with Miguel afterwards and meeting a couple of his running teammates over a free McD's breakfast.  Even the orange juice tasted better than ever!


It was my first run here in the Philippines since 2017.  That run mentioned above, a 16K was nearly at the same location in Pasay City.  Injuries have slowed this runner down but hopefully, I'll be healthy a little while longer.  


This run, and visit. almost didn't happen so am gratified and grateful.  About four weeks ago during a training run, I was hit from behind by a motorized scooter in San Francisco.  The guy riding the scooter was on the sidewalk illegally.  The different scooter companies in the city have a notice on the scooters that say "NO SIDEWALK RIDING!"  The issue is a major problem in San Francisco and no one seems to care about resolving the issue.  Recently, one member of the SF Board Of Supervisiors, after an email I sent, will have this issue brought up in a City Hall meeting.  Remember, San Francisco is a city that has motorized scooters as well as taxi cars that don't have drivers.  No wonder I want to leave! 


This person suffered a mild concussion from the fall and was hospitalized overnight.  Other than that, I lost a tooth and had several cuts.  The good news was that there were four people who saw it.  They took pics of the assailant.  A police report was filed at the location.  I hired a lawyer and the issue has been recently settled out of court with a settlement that offset the medical costs, though my medical insurance covered 99%.


I didn't want to mention this to anyone here in the Philippines because of wanting to go on this visit badly.  If this had been mentioned on social media, there would have been numerous people messaging me not to go!  In fact, my doctor suggested two weeks ago not to travel.  However, my condition improving well enough to proceed with the trip, it happened.  This runner, and wrestling fan, definitely feels a lot better since being here in Makati.  Running three times including a footrace proved that!  Enough on sharing this, but want to let everyone know I'm fine!  I made certain to stay in an area that was close to a hospital (Makati Med Center) just in case!


I've met up with several people during the time here and thank you especially to Martin, Jag and Darius for the time spent outside of the running and wrestling events.  It was fun sharing many things.  Looking forward in meeting up again in 2024 sometime.   


The wrestling show with the Manila Wrestling Federation was the best in the three shows watched.  Last Sunday was definitely the best day in this wrestling fan's life!  Yes, I've been watching for 55 years now but I know a great time when seeing and feeling it.


Thank you to the Manila Wrestling Federation company not only for Sunday, but the year plus!  Also, thank you to all the fans present and those who couldn't make the event due to previous priorities.  This fan cannot say enough.  As always, you've been there for me.  Hopefully, I've been the same way.  Wrestling fans here deserve this.  Undoubtedly, pro wrestling is booming here with all three promotions.  It will be exciting to see what happens in 2024!


Soon, will be in America, but wanted to wish everyone a Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays.  Will definitely be back sometime in 2024!  Please stay safe everyone!        

No comments:

Post a Comment